Grace Warner
Grace Warner
Social Media Editor
Heidi Yeung
Heidi Yeung
Copy Editor
Sophia Cuperstein
Sophia Cuperstein
Social Media Editor

Beach Blanket Babylon celebrates four decades of glitz and glamour

Six foot dancing male poodles, Italian cooks holding meat- balls the size of shoe boxes and President Barack Obama rap- ping are among the whacky, satiri- cal acts crossing the stage at Club Fugazi seven times a week.
The musical revue Beach Blan- ket Babylon is in its 40th year per- forming spoofs on pop culture and political parodies, punctuated with actors wearing big hair and over- sized hats.
“Beach Blanket Babylon is a sa- cred San Francisco tradition,” Stu- art Hall High School senior Patrick Wong, who has seen the musical multiple times, said. “Its success comes from the musical’s quality, actors and comedic scenes.”
The revue opens in the heart of North Beach with Snow White, a young princess from San Francis- co, searching for love. She encoun- ters societal icons and celebrities in the show who help her find her soul mate.
“What I love about the show is that the princess Snow White trav- els all around the world but ends up where she belongs back in the heart of San Francisco,” audience member Leo LaRocca said.
Beach Blanket Babylon is the
longest-running musical revue in America today.
“It’s great to see a mix between different styles of humor through acting, singing and dancing,” audi- ence member Cheryl Reasta said. “The parody of Ted Cruz was my favorite because it’s mainly topical and the actor who imitated Cruz had impeccable comedic timing as well as a good voice.”
Beach Blanket Babylon’s charac- ters and acts frequently change to reflect on current events and celeb- rity scandals.
“Between Kanye West, Kim Kar- dashian, Miley Cyrus and charac- ters from Duck Dynasty, this show has developed into a unique per- formance,” LaRocca said.
Tickets range from $25 to $130 and are available online, at the box office or by phone. All perfor- mances take place at Club Fugazi. Persons under 21 are only allowed at matinee performances.
“The actors transport you into a world of comedy right from the beginning,” Wong said. “By the end of the musical everyone is clapping along to the finale music. It’s great to see tourists and native San Fran- ciscans coming together to enjoy such a timeless show.”

Sarah Selzer
Senior Reporter

Six foot dancing male poodles, Italian cooks holding meat- balls the size of shoe boxes and President Barack Obama rapping are among the whacky, satirical acts crossing the stage at Club Fugazi seven times a week.

The musical revue Beach Blanket Babylon is in its 40th year performing spoofs on pop culture and political parodies, punctuated with actors wearing big hair and over- sized hats.

Beach Blanket Babylon is a sacred San Francisco tradition,” Stuart Hall High School senior Patrick Wong, who has seen the musical multiple times, said. “Its success comes from the musical’s quality, actors and comedic scenes.”

Rick Markovich with permission. The San Francisco Skyline finale hat has taken many forms over the 40 years of Beach Blanket Babylon. This 2010 version ‘sits’ atop Tammy Nelson’s head, supported by a body harness and counter weights.
Rick Markovich with permission.

The revue opens in the heart of North Beach with Snow White, a young princess from San Francis- co, searching for love. She encounters societal icons and celebrities in the show who help her find her soul mate.

“What I love about the show is that the princess Snow White travels all around the world but ends up where she belongs back in the heart of San Francisco,” audience member Leo LaRocca said.

Beach Blanket Babylon is the longest-running musical revue in the history of the world today.

“It’s great to see a mix between different styles of humor through acting, singing and dancing,” audience member Cheryl Reasta said. “The parody of Ted Cruz was my favorite because it’s mainly topical and the actor who imitated Cruz had impeccable comedic timing as well as a good voice.”

Beach Blanket Babylon’s characters and acts frequently change to reflect on current events and celebrity scandals.

“Between Kanye West, Kim Kardashian, Miley Cyrus and characters from Duck Dynasty, this show has developed into a unique performance,” LaRocca said.

Tickets range from $25 to $130 and are available online, at the box office or by phone. All performances take place at Club Fugazi. Persons under 21 are only allowed at matinee performances.