Elsie Scott
Elsie Scott
City Life Editor
Sofia Kozlova
Sofia Kozlova
Web Editor
Grace Warner
Grace Warner
Social Media Editor

iPads debut in lowerclassmen curriculum at CSH

Sophomore Tess Holland studies math by collabrating her iPad and textbook. Freshman and sophomores were given smart covers are able to fold into stands, holding it up for horizontal viewing.

Claire Fahy
Sports Editor

Freshmen and sophomores received iPads in a pilot program introducing tablet technology into the curriculum on Aug. 18-19.

“It’s going to change the way we learn things,” sophomore Mika Esquivel-Varela said, “but it’s going to be a challenge not do other things and to stay focused.”

Some students admit being nervous about learning to handle the new technology and responsibility that comes with it.

Sophomore Tess Holland studies math by collabrating her iPad and textbook. Freshmen and sophomores were given smart covers are able to fold into stands, holding it up horizontally. JEWEL DEVORAWOOD | the broadview
JEWEL DEVORAWOOD | the broadview Sophomore Tess Holland studies math with her iPad and textbook. Freshmen and sophomores were given iPad Smart Covers that fold into stands and hold the iPad horizontally.

“Losing an iPad is a bigger deal than losing just one textbook,” freshman Paloma Palmer said. “Everything is on our iPads.”

An external keyboard is available at the computer lab office which students can borrow overnight. Students can then purchase their own keyboards if they’re uncomfortable with the virtual keyboards on the iPad itself.

“I’m nervous about taking notes on it,” freshman Sabine Kelly said. “It’s hard to type on.”

Students’ iPads contain Keynote, a presentation application, Pages, a word processor, Numbers, an application for creating spreadsheets and graphs, and iAnnotate PDF, which allows students to write on PDFs on their iPads. History podcasts, an atlas, computer programming, grammar and art history applications will also be used, depending on a student’s courses.

“I feel like I won’t lose my notes now because it’s all in one place,” sophomore Francesca Dana said.