Elsie Scott
Elsie Scott
City Life Editor
Sofia Kozlova
Sofia Kozlova

Continuing classes after AP exams adds unnecessary stress to end of year

05oped040711_Page_1_Image_0006
Department heads and school administrators are currently deciding whether to have Advanced Placement classes continue after the exams. In previous years, most AP classes did not meet once the exam had ended. The possibility of extending these classes has had mixed reactions among students and teachers. NIKKI HVID | the broadview

Ava Martinez
Reporter

Many stressed-out students have survived the frenzy of Advanced Placement exams in past years with the knowledge they would soon be free of classes. However, that glimmer of hope may soon fade as administrators and department heads discuss the possibility of requiring students to attend classes even after the AP test.

While some parents may believe it is a waste of tuition money to end AP classes earlier than regular classes, the time commitment that comes with AP courses more than compensates for them ending early. Most AP classes have extensive summer assignments, meet during AP week, and have additional review sessions during Principal’s Meetings, Breakfast Club and after school hours.

Students work diligently and spend much of their free time doing homework for their AP classes. Such classes typically give significantly more homework as well as more frequent and longer tests.
AP students spend a large amount of their year devoted to studying for their tests, so the idea that ending classes earlier is a waste of tuition money is misguided.

AP courses are specifically designed to be fast-paced and cover more material than regular courses in a shorter amount of time. Moreover, teachers make sure to cover all the class material before the test, leaving virtually nothing to do after students take the test.

“I think it should be up to the teacher to decide, but I believe my class has spent a sufficient amount of time outside of class preparing for the AP,” AP European History teacher Sarah Garlinghouse said. “I wouldn’t have my classes meet after the AP ends.”

Lightening the load of the AP classes has a minimal impact on students’ studies, but gives students a chance to relax for the first time in a very long year.

Aside from the issues of time and class material, AP classes also place tremendous stress on those enrolled in the classes. Students who take as many as six AP classes can find themselves overwhelmed by the end of the school year.

Some students may believe that meeting for class after the AP test would be a welcome opportunity to boost their final grades, however it is unlikely they will still feel the same way once the reality of having to drag themselves to class sets in.

For AP students who have spent the entire year cramming and preparing for the lengthy final exam, a mere two class-free weeks would serve as a well-deserved break.