Athletes work to manage academics, sports

Sophomore Mary Katherine Michiels-Kibler returns from cross country practice and lifts her heavy backpack and sports bag onto her shoulders before heading up to the library. Michiels-Kibler is one of many students who budgets her time around after school sports.
“At first finding a balance can be hard,” Michiels-Kibler said. “But I always find that once a couple of weeks go by it is actually easier because you have a routine.”
The cross country team practices every day of the school week from 3:30 to 5:30 p.m. Michiels-Kibler is a veteran to the team and has found a way to manage her time after school.
“I don’t procrastinate because I have just exercised, which gives me a break from school work so I feel ready for homework,” Michiels-Kibler said.
Junior Caitlin Martin plays on the varsity tennis team. The team practices every day of the week from 3:30 to 5 p.m. Martin says she spends four hours a night on homework.
“When tennis is not in season I do have more time and I actually take longer to finish my homework because I tend to put it off and procrastinate,” Martin said. “So playing a sport gives me the drive to get my homework done.”
Caroline Hearst (’10), a freshman at Princeton, danced six days a week while she attended CSH. Hearst said that learning to balance school and extracurricular activities didn’t come all at once.
“A big piece of the puzzle is just staying on task when you have homework to do,” Hearst said. “Facebook, iTunes, IM, email and our cell phones are all pulling us away from our work.”
Nearly all students at CSH play a sport or have another extracurricular like dance after school.
“Under the pressure of time, you have to take advantage of every available minute,” Hearst said.
“Having something to balance school with, something that eats up your time, like ballet, also encourages you to stay on task.”