Heidi Yeung
Heidi Yeung
Copy Editor
Grace Warner
Grace Warner
Social Media Editor
Sophia Cuperstein
Sophia Cuperstein
Social Media Editor

Turning over a new leaf

Convent & Stuart Hall enforces environmental sustainability

Working towards a drive for sustainability is something that many organizations have started in the past couple of years. Due to the observable and tangible effects of climate change, starting to change harmful climate practices and investing in sustainability is becoming necessary in many lives.

Convent & Stuart Hall’s new dining service, Acre Gourmet, is on a mission for sustainability — locally sourcing ingredients as well as serving and cooking just the right amount. Acre has spent over a decade creating strong relationships with vendors who are deeply committed to sustainability and ethical farming practices. 

On average, Acre’s meals utilize 75%-85% organic products, much of it local. In addition, real plates, trays, flatware and cups are used during meal times and a full composting/recycling program is enforced throughout kitchens and dining rooms, according to Acre Gourmet

When it comes to environmental stability at Convent & Stuart Hall, there are many clubs like Eco Club and Garden Club that are working to preserve our planet and natural environment. Students are also very socially aware of climate change and the ecosystem in classes like Environmental Science and Societies as well as through core texts in English and History.

Students can also express their dedication or passion for the environment at the Bay Area Youth Climate Summit. Bay Area Youth Climate Summits are held annually and unite hundreds of high school students from all over the Bay Area to learn about, connect over, and take action for climate justice. Summits include engaging workshops on diverse topics, lunch discussions and activities, and climate action planning sessions, according to Bay Area Youth Climate Summit.

This is a free opportunity for students to make a real difference in their communities and reduce the impact of climate change is Rustic Pathways. Rustic Pathways is now accepting applications for its Climate Leaders Fellowship. Participating in the fellowship will help make a positive impact on the community and environment, according to email sent by Community Life Chair Michael Buckley

When it comes to having sustainability in a school, a lot of it lies in how involved and passionate the members of the community are. Students and teachers concerned about climate change, global warming, and how living a sustainable lifestyle can help to mitigate the effects can help to reduce emissions. 

The administrations’ choice to go with Acre Dining to help mitigate food waste throughout the school was a smart and conscientious decision which can help to prevent the acceleration of climate change and in order to preserve our environment.