Grammys go-over

Students recap 65th Grammys

Creative Commons

A Grammy award is one of the highest accomplishments a music artist can get. Many awards are displayed inside the Grammy Museum in Los Angeles.

Heidi Yeung, Reporter

The 65th Grammy Music Awards took place on Sunday in Los Angeles. The show was broadcasted everywhere throughout the United States, as well as other countries — like Canada — on CBS. 

The three-and-a-half hour production consists of performances, speeches, an In Memoriam segment, and award ceremonies. This year, winner of the Best New Artist award, Samara Joy, had a 5,800% increase in streams on US Spotify after the Grammys, according to Rolling Stone.

“I find that while the awards generally go to more well-known artists, it introduces me to a lot of newer artists that I haven’t heard of,” sophomore Kaiya Koenigsberg said. “There is also a large buildup of excitement when my favorite artists get nominated and the results are announced,”

This year’s Grammy Awards went down in history, according to Koenigsberg. Kim Petras was the first transgender woman to win the Grammy for Best Pop Group/Duo Performance, and additionally, Beyoncé acquired four awards — officially surpassing the Hungarian conductor Georg Solti — making her the artist with the most Grammys of all-time.

“I love seeing female artists like Beyoncé and Kim Petras impacting the music industry with their amazing work,” freshman Elizabeth Fox said. “I know that many young people are inspired by their accomplishments and music,”

To preface the final award, a skit of fans speaking at a roundtable recurred throughout the ceremony. With one fan representing each nominee for Album of the Year, the fans explained why each artist should ultimately win. 

“A lot of the skits and jokes they made throughout the show were really fun to watch,” Fox said. “I loved it when the grandma was able to announce that Harry Styles won Album of the Year,”

The Grammys also included performances from Harry Styles, Lizzo, Bad Bunny, Brandi Carlile, and more. Rapper Dr. Dre received the Dr. Dre Global Impact Award for his achievements throughout his career. 

From Taylor Swift winning the award for Best Music Video with ‘All Too Well: The Short Film’, to Bonnie Raitt achieving Song of the Year for ‘Just Like That’, the Grammys highlighted many notable people in the music industry, according to Koenigsberg.

“I watch the Grammys every year and hear about it for many days afterwards — because it is such an exciting event,” Koenigsberg said. “I look forward to it every year, and I am already anticipating next year’s Awards.”