Award-winning author speaks to student body

Teju Cole expands on breaking down racial and societal walls

Clara Bonomi

Harvard Professor Teju Cole speaks to the student body about his experiences with racial and societal injustices. The webinar lasted over an hour, so students continued their day with 2-hour blocks instead of 2.5-hour blocks.

Clara Bonomi, Reporter

WEB EXCLUSIVE Students, faculty, alumni and parents gathered virtually today to engage in a webinar led by author, professor and photographer Teju Cole. 

Cole’s speaking points surrounded promoting intentionality and accountability in a world where white privilege often dominates day-to-day life. It matters not the size or outcome of one’s actions, but the intention behind them, according to Cole.

“I really believe that these webinars allow students to think about literature more deeply,” freshman Katie Fullerton said. “My biggest takeaways were to stay true to my beliefs and to try not to be influenced by the mob mentality.”

All members of the school community were encouraged to share their opinions and engage in dialogue, efforts that symbolize the essence of a Sacred Heart education, according to an email sent by President Ann Marie Krejcarek.

“It was great to hear about some of these more serious topics like race and privilege from a new perspective,” sophomore Natalie Posner said. “If you do not have a wide range of input, it’s hard to get a genuine opinion about something.”

The webinar took place from 9:30 to 10:50 a.m. Students returned to their Block 1 class promptly after and finished their second block at 3:20 p.m.

“Most people don’t spend a lot of time diving really deep into these topics just for the fun of it,” Fullerton said. “It’s great to see the school promoting it though because it encourages students to be more aware of their actions.”