Attack on the Capitol sparks discussion

Teachers encouraged students to respond to recent violence in the nation

Nina Gutierrez

Juniors share their thoughts on the riot at the U.S. Capitol in their Theory of Knowledge class on Jan. 7 . If they felt comfortable, Theology and Spirituality teacher Elaina Legault gave her students the choice to open up and give their personal insight on the situation.

Nina Gutierrez, Senior Reporter

Following Tuesday’s chilling riot at the United States Capitol, teachers took time to discuss the historic event with their classes today. 

“High schoolers today are savvy and engaged information consumers,” History & Social Sciences teacher Guy Leavitt said. “My students were well informed about yesterday’s events when they arrived this morning, allowing us to hit the ground running in our class discussion.”

Teachers across the curriculum gave students a safe place to ask questions and voice their thoughts and concerns about the shocking and violent attack, while finding ways to relate the occasion to the class subject. 

“We discussed what happened in Washington D.C. and I am glad we did,” junior Sara Ramelot said about her Theory of Knowledge Class. “I did not share my opinion because I felt that people had already shared my thoughts and opinions surrounding the issue.”

Some questions regarding current and past political disorder were answered by classmates and teachers, however questions such as how the government may handle similar situations in the future remained unanswered. 

“I continue to question the government’s way of taking control, especially when such violent tactics were used during the Black Lives Matter protests,” freshman Sam Buscemi said. “I am overall embarrassed by the government and what it stands for and tolerates.”

Ramelot says her classmates seemed slightly unsettled and disturbed, which she felt as well, but she found it comforting to know the class generally shared the same concerns as her.

“I think it was really important for us to talk about this today,” Bridget Mills. “Due to us living in such an unprecedented time, it affects each and every single one of us.”

Leavitt says the academic goal is understanding, and the personal goal for students was to think critically for themselves and learn from each other, which helps to empower them to engage as informed citizens. 

“I simply want my class to be a safe space for students to find their voice,” Leavitt said. “Especially in the wake of events that can feel more or less traumatic.”