Induction ceremony for NHS moves to fall

Thomasina Akamine

New inductees Olivia Mohun, Josephine Rozzelle, Lizzie Bruce and Angela Chao light their candles, signifying their NHS membership. NHS members shared inductees’ achievements through short speeches.

Mary Perez, Senior Reporter

The National Honor Society inducted a select group of juniors and seniors last Friday, moving the traditionally spring ceremony to the fall.

“NHS has always been a spring thing where sophomores, juniors and seniors are all allowed to apply,” math teacher Jordan Lewis, who was part of the student selection committee, said. “This year, we have changed it to a fall ceremony and limited it to current juniors and seniors.”

The induction ceremony was held in the fall in order to accommodate the seniors’ college applications, according to Lewis.

“Being part of the National Honor Society is an extracurricular activity, so it’s something seniors can show colleges of their interests,” College Counseling Director Rebecca Munda said. “It shows a way that they’ve been committed to our community.”

NHS acknowledges students with exceptional achievements in the areas of academics, service, character and leadership.

“NHS calls out students who are good people and active in the community who don’t always get recognition in the classroom,” Lewis said.

Convent’s chapter is introducing a tutoring program with members acting as academic mentors to help other students.

“The students who are being tutored get to have a really great perspective from a student.” Lewis said. “You can talk to a teacher all you want and have them explain things, but a student might have a better way of explaining something.”

A student can use the position of a tutor to master a topic so she can explain it simply to someone else, according to Lewis.

Members are expected to be available to tutor others throughout the school year, but there will also be designated tutoring sessions before finals week, according to Lewis.

“There are a lot of smart students around who know what they’re doing, so I think it’s good to give them a platform in teaching others,” Lewis said. “NHS asks members to give back to the community in some way through tutoring or volunteering.”

The tutoring program will also be united with the AP Club, a new student organization that helps those struggling with AP classes, and its tutoring program, according to club head Sydney O’Neil, who is also an NHS member.

“What I’m hoping to do is have NHS integrate with AP Club and have one peer tutoring program,” O’Neil said. “I think it’d be a good opportunity for people struggling in rigorous classes to come together.”

Having peer tutoring will help relieve the stress some students feel when asking for help in their classes, according to O’Neil.

“Sometimes there’s a pressure between teacher-student relationships,” O’Neil said. “If you have someone who you can ask questions to about a certain subject, it’ll be beneficial.”