Widespread power outage affects campus

Claire Kosewic

During the power outage, juniors Devin King-Roberts, Mary Crawford and Marguerite Williamson take their history period to register to vote. Junior Katie Thomis, a high school elections ambassador, was trained by the county and initiated the event.

Claire Kosewic, Web Editor

A widespread power outage is currently affecting multiple neighborhoods of San Francisco, including both the Broadway and Pine/Octavia campuses. Lights and WiFi went out shortly after 9 a.m. this morning.

“We were supposed to be having a research period which is difficult without internet access,” junior Mary Crawford said. “It’s eye-opening how reliant we are on technology.”

Visitors are on campus today for Grandparents and Special Friends Day, necessitating flexibility for guests, the students hosting them, and the originally-planned activities.

“The only problem we’ve run into is handicap access for our grandparents,” Convent & Stuart Hall President Ann Marie Krejcarek said. “In one case, we just lifted a guest so they could get to their child’s room.”

PG&E estimates that power will be restored by 12:15 p.m. this afternoon, and said that approximately 95,000 customers are currently being affected by the outage. There was a fire reported at the Larkin Street Substation, but this has not been confirmed as the source of the outage.

“I had planned to use the internet projection system for class today, but we’re just being flexible,” history teacher Sarah Garlinghouse. “With the shades open, the classroom is totally bright enough and we’re just having a relaxing day.”

Power briefly shut off in the Siboni Arts & Sciences Center yesterday morning, affecting lights and WiFi, which lasted about 15 minutes.

Areas of Lower Manhattan are also reporting power outages, according to the ConEdison power company which services the area.

“It’s a beautiful day, so right now I’m just going with the flow,” Crawford said. “We’re registering to vote, working on a classroom project and taking a nice Friday break.”

Students have been asked to stay on campus for lunch, which will be provided for all students.

Update 11:30 a.m. — PG&E is now reporting that power should be restored for most customers by 1 p.m.

Update 12:30 p.m. — PG&E is now reporting that power has been restored for 10,000 customers. Estimated time of power restoration for zip code 94115 (location of Broadway campus) is 2:12 p.m.

Update 2:45 p.m. — Power has been restored to campus.