Mandarin classes immerse in Chinese culture

Sophomore+Jilan+Powers++class+creates+red+paper+lanterns+for+kindergarten+students.+AP+Mandarin+spent+their+class+in+celebration+of+Chinese+New+Year.+

Sophomore Jilan Powers class creates red paper lanterns for kindergarten students. AP Mandarin spent their class in celebration of Chinese New Year.

Halie Kim, Reporter

The Mandarin classes’ celebrations of  “Xin Nian,” or Chinese New Year, will extend over the week as they engage in Chinese culture.

The whole Chinese program, except the AP class, will take a field trip to Chinatown, where they will eat a traditional Chinese lunch and study the architecture in Old Chinatown, according to Mandarin teacher Yu Hong Yao.

“We eat around one table like a whole family and share the food,” Yao said. “Here, the culture is to order whatever you want, but we share.”

By learning about Chinese culture, the Mandarin students engage themselves and learn more respect for the culture, according to Yao.

“America is segregated from other cultures, but also encompasses many different cultures,” junior Jordon Chin said. “By learning different cultures you can better understand the people you meet.”

The AP students had an in-class celebration, complete with dumplings, paper lanterns and traditional Chinese music.

“We get to see a different aspect of Chinese New Year by watching videos of the celebrations that happen in China,” sophomore Erika Wong said.

The AP students made red paper lanterns at the beginning of class, which they gave to kindergarteners, who also learn Mandarin.

Kindergarteners created red paper lanterns to scare away the mythical Chinese New Year’s monster “Nian,” while first grade girls learned a traditional lion dance to scare away evil spirits.

“Chinese culture is good for little ones,” Yao said. “It is a hands-on way to experience Chinese New Year.”