iPads to be adapted into classrooms

Theology teacher Paul Pryor-Lorentz places an inventory label on an iPad for use by a faculty member. Teachers involved in the program received their iPads last Thursday and will begin curriculum development immediately.

Zoe Newcomb

Rising sophomores and incoming freshman slated to be the first group of students participating in a pilot program integrating Apple Computer’s iPad into select classes, with the goal of making the technology standard for all students within the next few years.

“I’m a big believer in blending technology being blended into the classroom to enrich and engage students in the curriculum,” Head of School Andrea Shurley said. “I was quite excited that we will be able to use the iPad for innovative custom content for our students.”

Shurley has been working with a group of faculty, headed by Computer Science Department Chair Tracy Anne Sena, who first pitched the iPad program, and theology teacher Paul Pryor-Lorentz, over the last few months to develop a program that will incorporate in-class note taking, presentation slide shows and other media into the classroom.

“I’m old-fashioned, but I’m really excited about the possibilities this will hold,” art history teacher Sunnie Evers said. Evers, who teaches sophomore Art Foundations focused on Renaissance art added, “There is an app that allows students to make their own collection of favorite pieces of art, and to create flashcards to study with instead of carrying around a huge stack of index cards.”

The pilot program will likely be financed by some sort of copay program in which students will share the cost of the iPad they take home everyday with the school, but the technology will remain the property of CSH. Shurley said she is “certainly interested” in exploring the option of allowing students to purchase their iPad from the school after graduation.

Despite the concern that technology in the classroom might prove more of a distraction than a help, Shurley is confident that the precautions teachers will take will be effective.

“With the iPad, unlike laptops, only one app can be opened at a time,” Shurley said. “This should keep students on the task and focusing on what the class is working on.”