Frosh arrive on campus

Class of 2023 acclimates to school community

Freshmen Noor El-Qadah, Annika Hansen, Ella Noblin and Amaliya Sypult enter their names into the electronic scoreboard at Presidio Bowling Center on Aug. 16. Convent & Stuart Hall freshmen participated in arcade games, ate pizza and bowled.

Grace Krumplitsch and Tabitha Parent

Freshmen gathered for Freshman Success on Aug. 15 and 16 to meet new classmates and familiarize themselves with the campus.

After going over the new schedule, dress code and the Honor Code, students participated in icebreakers and games with Theater Programs Director Margaret Grace Hee.

“I felt kind of uncomfortable before the icebreakers, but then got more comfortable afterwards because we were all doing something together rather than having our own conversations,” freshman Roxy Comerford said. “I really enjoyed the ‘speed dating’ game where we really just got to talk to each other.”

Freshmen also met their advisers and had lunch with their PAWS advisory groups.

“Ms. [Caroline] Norris, was really helpful when it came to talking about our schedules and answering questions,” freshman Sinead Trevino said. “I am looking forward to creating a friend group in advisory and to be able to talk about the week with them.”

Advisory groups provide students with a safe space and close relationships with faculty as they navigate through high school.

“The teachers were very nice and welcoming,” freshman Tala El-Qadah said. “Meeting them helped me get excited for the school year.”

Freshmen were later divided into teams of seven for a scavenger hunt to visit teachers in their classrooms and introduce themselves before the first day of
school.

“I found it easier to talk to people than I thought it would be,” Comerford said. “We were in such small groups, meaning it was very easy to find someone we could talk to and connect with.”

Freshman Success continued on Friday with the entirety of the coed Freshman Class gathering outside of the Little Theater to meet their Senior Sisters and Brothers for breakfast.

“I’m looking forward to seeing the Freshman Class grow, create new friendships and branch out of their comfort zones because that’s the most effective way to get the best out of the four years of high school,” senior Rachel Santamaria said.

Senior Sisters and Brothers provide support and mentorship for freshmen as they experience their first year of high school.

“It was a lot easier to make friends than I though it was going to be,” freshman Nicole Klein said. “My Senior Sister Sunny was also super nice to talk to.”

The class participated in more icebreakers before heading to the Presidio for bowling, arcade games and a pizza lunch to wrap up orientation.

“I’m excited to get a good education,” Trevino said. “I’m really looking forward to making new friends and getting to know the teachers more and just creating better bonds with people all over the school.”