Presentation on climate change

Kira Daley

George Gigounas answers questions from students at the end of the presentation. Students can get involved in climate change by looking at the UNFCCC website or joining the Environmental Awareness Club.

Caroline Thompson, Reporter

WEB EXCLUSIVE George Gigounas, a representative from the United Nations Framework Convention on Climate Change gave a presentation about climate change in Syufy Theatre this morning in honor of Earth Day.

Adopted by most of the world in 1992, the UNFCCC aims to manage the levels of greenhouse gases in the atmosphere according to Gigounas. There are 197 parties in the organization and Gigounas represents the Republic of Georgia.

“I thought the most interesting thing the speaker talked about was how industrialized countries abuse their resources to advance their society,” sophomore Miley Sherman said. “His presentation also prompted me to research more about the Paris Agreement and see how climate change is a global issue.”

Convent’s Environmental Awareness Club led by junior Emma Hubbard works all year to raise awareness about climate change.

“The goal of the club is to help spread awareness about the urgent issue of climate change in an effort to create a more sustainable school community,” Hubbard said. “We have made trash sorting posters and a video to show at assembly to educate high school students about proper waste sorting because the school has to pay fines each month for missorted trash.

There are no environmental education classes at Convent, however, the Environmental Awareness Club and presentations like Gigounas’ push students to learn more about these issues, according to Sherman.

“I hope to in the future, recognize how my actions affect global warming and learn more about ways in which to help stop global warming,” Sherman said.