Laser printer offers school new opportunities

Students+gather+in+Spark+Studio+for+unveil+of+3D+laser+printer.+The+printer+was+ordered+two+years+ago+and+arrived+in+January.+

Howard Levin | with permission

Students gather in Spark Studio for unveil of 3D laser printer. The printer was ordered two years ago and arrived in January.

Cassie Eskicioglu, Senior Reporter

WEB EXCLUSIVE A 3D laser printer was recently introduced to the Sparks Studio technology lab, increasing the access to advanced machinery for student projects.

Six students called Laser Tech Specialists in multiple grades have been trained to use the machine. Junior Avery Van Natta, one tech specialist, is excited to use the laser printer for her art projects.

“The laser cutter will help the school give the students more opportunities and options in terms of technology to help with projects,” Van Natta said. “I think that having that resource is really valuable to students.”

The laser cutter arrived in January and since then, Chris Person-Rennell and other tech faculty have been figuring out how to use the machine themselves.

“We wanted to have students’ input and ownership of this as much as possible,” Person-Renell said. “That way the students will know by the end of spring how to use [the machine] themselves.”

The school waited two years for the printer to arrive. The printer will allow for projects to be completed easier, according to sophomore Ryann Minnis.

“I am excited to have the ability to make different parts and using those parts to make even more objects,” Minnis said.

“The possibilities are endless.”

The tech faculty hopes that the laser printer can become part of potential robotics and interaction design courses, according to Person-Rennell.

“With the printer my students and I can design something precisely, and the machine will be able to cut those shapes for us,” Person-Rennell said. “My emphasis is going to be on design, specifically digital design, with the purpose of engineering, architecture and other building types.”

The laser printer opens many opportunities for students among technology, according to Van Natta.

“I am excited to see how the school integrates the cutter into their curriculum,” Van Natta said. “How as even a 5th or 9th grader you get to use this cool technology, and it becomes a different facet of your daily education.”