SIA food drive for fire victims ends

Laura Mogannam

Junior Caroline Phillipps puts food into a donation bin for victims of the North Bay fire. The drive, which started Monday, ends today.

Laura Mogannam, Senior Reporter

WEB EXCLUSIVE A food drive held by the Students in Action club, SIA, for victims of the North Bay fires will end today after school. Members of the Convent & Stuart Hall community can donate ready-to-eat non-perishable goods before the end of last period.

“Mr. O’Connor sent out an email addressing that there was a huge problem for the fire victims,” a club head Isis Boivin said. “Then, all the heads of the club worked together and decided that a food drive would be the most appropriate way to help the people in need.”

Multiple cardboard donation boxes are stationed at the entrance of the Main Hall of the Flood Mansion.

“I joined SIA because I wanted to help people and I’m glad people are donating to the drive we are having,” sophomore Michelle Wang said. “When there is a tragedy all of us need to be there to help others.”

Junior Natalia Varni is one victim of the fire who lost her second home in Kenwood as a result of the fire.

“It was a second home for me, so it’s not like I’ve lost everything,” Varni said. “It is super helpful for these people because they have nowhere to go and basic necessities that they would have in their home are gone.”

The donations boxes will be picked up tonight, sorted and then brought to the Redwood Fire Food Bank in Santa Rosa, Ca.

“Some of the boxes are pretty full,” Boivin said. “They have a lot of food in them, which is nice.”