Uniforms required for standardized testing next week

Asha Khanna and Fiona Mittelstaedt

Sophomore Daphna Bendull models the school uniform, which she will be wearing while taking the PSAT on Wednesday. Like many students interviewed, Bendull said although she’ll be wearing the skirt, she would prefer to said she would prefer to wear pants.
Sophomore Daphna Bendull models the school uniform, which she will be wearing while taking the PSAT on Wednesday. Like many students interviewed, Bendull said although she will be wearing the skirt, she would prefer to wear pants.

Asha Khanna & Fiona Mittelstaedt
Reporters

Although studies show students perform better on tests when they dress professionally, not everyone was thrilled with the announcement that freshmen, sophomores and juniors are required to wear uniforms when they take the PSAT on Wednesday.

“I would rather be comfortable to be less stressed,” freshman Lily Niehaus said. “Being comfortable helps me focus.”

Others believe dressing in professional attire leads to confidence, which is more important than being comfortable.

“It is statistically proven that if students ‘dress for success’ they do better on their tests,” Student Activities Director Devin DeMartini-Cooke said, citing UC Davis’ Five Golden Rules of Qualifying Exams which advises to dress appropriately, “usually professional or business dress.”

Even though everyone has different opinions on what to wear for the test, everyone wants to do well.

“We adapt policy and practice with a mind to improve and encourage greater student success,” Head of School Rachel Simpson said.

The schedule for mideterms is at http://www.sacredsf.org/calendars/index.aspx?ModuleID=226:214