Coco Stenzler
Coco Stenzler

IB Testing Starting

Many upperclassmen start exams for IB today
Hope Wong

Today is the start of testing for all students who are a part of the IB Diploma Programme. Testing only applies to the seniors in the program who have taken two-year courses. Testing will span from today to May 17 though the specific dates vary for each student. The scores students receive will determine whether or not students will receive the IB Diploma.

The IB (International Baccalaureate) Program is one of the two course options students can take along with AP classes. The program includes college-level courses that lead up to the exams at the end of the second year. Unlike AP classes where students can take a combination of regular and AP courses, those who choose to participate in the program can only take IB classes, according to senior Sarah Rasic.

“I have not started IB testing as all of my tests are next week,” Rasic said. “I’ve mainly been preparing for chemistry class though,”

In order to participate in the program, a student must have at least a 2.5 unweighted grade point average each semester. In addition, they must have an unweighted 2.0 for their cumulative (end of year) GPA, according to John A. Ferguson Senior High School.

“The IB program has given me independence when it comes to things like research for the EE (Extended Essay), which I think is really helping me prepare for college,” junior Nathania Chao said. “And the school faculty is very supportive of the students in their courses as well,”

Within the program, students are given the choice to take SL (standard level) or HL (higher level) classes. The six general categories that students must take in order to receive their diploma are English, History/Religious Studies, Science, Math, Art, and one foreign language. 

Subjects are graded on a scale of one through seven with Theory of Knowledge and the Extended Essay instead being graded from A-E (A being the best grade), and these can add a total of three points to the final score. The minimum number of points in order to receive the diploma is 24, as well as passing several specific requirements, according to The Baccalaureate School for Global Education.

“For me, the program has been really good,” Rasic said. “I think it’s been building good study habits and has helped me learn how to write better papers.”