Grace Warner
Grace Warner
Amrita Rajpal
Amrita Rajpal
Heidi Yeung
Heidi Yeung
Copy Editor

Earth Day

Students celebrate Earth Day
Adults and children alike get involved during Earth Day by attending protests. Finding an event to attend, including protests, voting venues, or a toolkit distribution site, is made easy through social media or event websites.
Wikimedia Commons

Today, over a billion people around the world celebrated Earth Day. Earth Day, first observed in 1970, is a celebration of the planet and a reminder of the importance of environmental sustainability. 

“On Earth Day, I think about trying more to help the Earth,” freshman Addie Sanford said. “I try to encourage my friends to do stuff like throw trash away in the right bins,”

The idea of Earth Day was proposed by Wisconsin Senator Gaylord Nelson in 1969 after he and many of his colleagues witnessed the devastating oil spill off the coast of Santa Barbara. He and activist Denis Hayes organized teach-ins at college campuses to bring awareness to the topic of environmental deterioration, according to Earth Day.

“In the past I’ve volunteered in Golden Gate Park doing park cleanups for Earth Day,” history faculty member Lauren O’Donnell said. “This year, I wish I had spent more time outside appreciating the environment.”

This year’s Earth Day theme is Planet vs. Plastics, according to ____. The goal of the initiative is to reduce plastic production by 60% before 2040, according to Earth Day. Invasive plastics account for many problems such as habitat destruction, animal endangerment, and the release of toxic chemicals into our food and water.

“I am against plastic and I think it’s bad for the planet,” sophomore Adania Cooper said. “And I think we should ban plastic.”

Earth Day was designed to bring awareness to environmental problems, but the day can be celebrated just by reflecting on how the Earth makes you feel. To celebrate Earth Day, it is recommended that individuals take time to go to the park, conserve water, and reduce the use of plastic, according to the Almanac

“If I see a post online about Earth Day, I like the post and send it to my family,” Sanford said. “Earth Day is important and I do my best to remember and celebrate it.”