Elsie Scott
Elsie Scott
City Life Editor
Heidi Yeung
Heidi Yeung
Copy Editor

Butterflies are back

Behren’s silverspot butterflies have another chance
Since+1997%2C+the+Behrens+silverspot+butterfly+has+been+marked+as+an+endangered+species.+In+an+effort+to+restore+their+population%2C+conservationists+have+happily+announced+their+plans+to+release+the+butterflies+across+the+Northern+Californian+coast+over+the+next+two+years.+
Wikimedia Commons
Since 1997, the Behren’s silverspot butterfly has been marked as an endangered species. In an effort to restore their population, conservationists have happily announced their plans to release the butterflies across the Northern Californian coast over the next two years.

The Behren’s silverspot butterfly is an endangered butterfly species, mainly due to their unique habitat this is due to the small environment remaining for these butterflies and threats of invading vegetation.

“I think butterflies are stunning,”  says freshman Fiona Brentani. “I am really happy that they are working to help bring the silverspot butterfly back,”

The plan to release the butterflies back into their habitats will happen over the next two years. The butterflies live in coastal terrace prairie areas, and when searching for new locations for them to inhabit, conservationists must look at two necessary resources: caterpillar host plants and adult nectar sources.

“I think adding more butterflies will be great for the environment,” says freshman Koko Foust. “Not only will it help pollinate more flowers, but it will also be nice to see more butterflies in nature,”

With hopes to restore their limited habitat, the Mendocino Land Trust donated 1.5 million dollars in grants in 2023, according to the Mendocino Land Trust. The plan is to plant a minimum of 30,000 early blue violets across the Californian coast, the Behren’s silverspot butterflies main source of food, as a start to the plans for the restoration of the butterfly’s population. 

“It sounds like a good initiative to bring back the silverspot butterflies,” says English teacher Maya Mahony, “ I think it will help bring back the endangered animals. I believe that their plan sounds like a good first step,” 

In preparation for the release of the butterflies, conservationists have been collecting and raising the caterpillars. They are preparing them for the outside by ensuring they are all healthy. Once released, conservationists will monitor their reproduction for the first few years.

“ I believe this is going to be a great project that will greatly positively impact our ecosystem,” Brentani says. “I am excited to see how it goes.”