Sophia Cuperstein
Sophia Cuperstein
Social Media Editor
Elsie Scott
Elsie Scott
City Life Editor
Amrita Rajpal
Amrita Rajpal
Web Editor

A multitude of marigolds

Dia de los Muertos chapel brings community together
Wikimedia Commons
A traditional ofrenda for Dia de los Muertos, in Mexico City. Ofrendas are often adorned with pictures and favorite foods of the deceased.

Today, during community time, students and faculty came together to celebrate and remember loved ones who have passed away. Grades nine through twelve congregated in the Be Mardel Chapel for a special Dia de los Muertos service.

“I liked the chapel today a lot more than usual,” said freshman Calista Au. “Overall, the energy in the room felt different than normal, and today especially, everyone was really supporting each other and creating an open environment to talk about such a hard subject,”

Students and faculty were given the opportunity to say a name and a few words about a loved one they have lost. After doing so, they were invited to place a marigold on the ofrenda, a special altar used during Dia de los Muertos.

“It’s a day of remembrance and it’s really meaningful for many people, and some people give offerings to loved ones,” said freshman Amy Gonzales.“I think it’s a way to keep the memory of people alive,”

The Latinas Unidas is a club dedicated to Hispanic and Latino culture, and they planned this event. They also built the ofrenda that is situated in the Be Mardel chapel currently. Marigold flowers, sometimes referred to as ‘flowers of the dead’ are a symbol of this day, and are used to attract the souls of those who have passed away back to the altar.

Dia de los Muertos is celebrated in Mexico and other Hispanic countries on Nov. 1 and 2. The first day is reserved for specifically celebrating deceased children, while the second day is for adults. Dia de los Muertos is often thought of as a celebration of someone’s life, not just their death, according to ​Best Colleges

“The school came together today in a way I’ve never seen before,” said Au. “Dia de los Muertos is a really unique holiday and I loved getting that special time to think about people who have passed away.”