Sofia Kozlova
Sofia Kozlova
Heidi Yeung
Heidi Yeung
Copy Editor

Bye bye backpacks

“Anything but a backpack” day brings various vessels to school
Amrita Rajpal
Senior Sofia Tobiason showcases her “anything but a backpack” vessel. Students brought a wide variety of items to school to hold their belongings, that ranged from totes to suitcases.

During spirit week, students engage in a myriad of themed spirit days prior to the homecoming games and dance on Friday and Saturday. Among these spirit days is one called “anything but a backpack.”

On this day, students could bring virtually anything to hold their school supplies: except a backpack. Some students decided to keep it simple with tote bags and other common carriers, while others went all out with objects such as suitcases, guitar cases, and coolers, according to junior Ellis Hummel.

“I saw so many people with such interesting and innovative ideas to replace their backpacks with,” Hummel said. “I carried all my stuff in a box, which turned out to be a struggle while crossing campuses,”

Leading up to the homecoming sports games and dance on Sept. 29, and Sept. 30, the school hosts a spirit week. This week involves a pep rally, lip-sync battle and spirited days like “anything but a backpack” day.

This year, the themes are, in order; PJ day, 4th of July, anything but a backpack, uniform day for mass of the holy spirit, and school spirit day. These spirit days get students involved with the school and fuels anticipation for the homecoming games according to sophomore Layla Venchiarutti.

“I love spirit week because it creates a fun environment at school that makes everyone excited for homecoming,” Venchiarutti said, “It also gives students a week free of dress code, which is always fun,”

This spirit day theme is something Convent and Stuart hall has never tried before in previous years. The “anything but a backpack trend has gained popularity for its out of the box and fun idea-sparking originality according to Hummel.

“I thought this theme was really cool and It was fun to change it up a little,” Hummel said, “I hope we do more creative spirit day themes like this one.”