Sophia Cuperstein
Sophia Cuperstein
Amrita Rajpal
Amrita Rajpal

Getting from campus to campus

Bus, drive, walk or bike
Students+filled+out+a+form+based+on+how+they+get+from+campus+to+campus.+Most+students+walk%2C+however+some+take+the+bus+or+drive.+
Cecelia Aliabadi
Students filled out a form based on how they get from campus to campus. Most students walk, however some take the bus or drive.

Between the Broadway and Pine Octavia campus, students are seen in the crosswalks, crowding up buses, in the bike lane on Electric scooters and in the front seat of cars. They are all trying to travel the 0.8 mile distance from campus to campus. 

“The walk from campus to campus is a little hectic sometimes,” freshman Kokobe Foust said. “Especially like walking with all of my sports equipment because it makes the walk more difficult,”

Carrying a backpack, as well as having to keep track of a separate sports bag, can be difficult when having to cross more than once a day, according to Foust. When not walking between campuses, students have 20 minutes before they have to get to their next class.

“I don’t feel like I ever hear people complaining,” Mr. Pryor Lorentz said. “I see students use it as social time, and over the years I have not heard a lot of negative feedback about the walk,”

Some upperclassmen are able to drive, but most students seem to walk between campuses, according to a Broadview survey. This could be due to the difficulties of finding parking, or scheduling for when the bus is coming, according to sophomore Eugenia Jackson. 

“I always feel like I’m rushing,” freshman Audrey Rosauer said. “This is a shock for me because I had no idea that the walk would be over half a mile,”

Many students use the bus as transportation, which creates many large crowds on the 1 and the 22 buses, according to Jackson. These are public San Francisco buses, so students under 18 years of age do not have to pay, according to SFMTA.  

“The bus is so much more convenient than walking,” sophomore Eugenia Jackson explains. “I always use an app to track when the bus is coming but sometimes it is really unreliable,” 

Additionally, students have begun to ask questions of why they are only allowed 20 minutes to travel between a 0.8 mile distance each day. According to Google Maps, the walk from one campus to another lasts about 18 minutes, but this does not account for the time it takes to actually get into a classroom. 

Students have 20 minutes to walk between campuses, and according to Google Maps it takes 18. In the instances where students don’t need to switch campuses between classes, they are able to use this spare time to do homework, use the restroom, fill up water bottles, and more, according to Mr. Pryor Lorentz.

“I am definitely still getting used to the fact that I have to walk between campuses,” Foust said. “It is nice going to a school with a city campus but sometimes when it is hot or I have a lot of bags, it can be difficult.”