Sofia Kozlova
Sofia Kozlova
Amrita Rajpal
Amrita Rajpal

New year, new peers

Back to school brings changes for students
Students line up in the Broadway cortile to take their school pictures. Convent & Stuart Hall pictures are taken by MugsyClicks and will be available for students to view later this year.

WEB EXCLUSIVE | With the first week of class under way, students are adjusting to new schedules, teachers and a different lunch program. Students also took their school pictures today that will appear on their identification cards and in the yearbook. 

“This new week has been hectic as we are all getting familiarized with new schedules, but I am sure that we will all be able to get back to normal very quickly,” sophomore Mallory Parent said. “It is exciting to be taking new classes with new people, as I can get to know my classmates more,”

New schedules can be difficult to navigate, especially when classes are at different campuses, according to Parent. Getting used to unfamiliar teachers with different expectations is also another aspect of the new school year.

“I have classes on both campuses, and I find that it’s a bit tiring but it can also be a great source of exercise and activity,” sophomore Elizabeth Fox said. “That being said, I am glad to have two resource blocks so I can catch up on work and rest,”

Students have also been introduced to a different lunch program, as the school is no longer working with Sage Dining Services. Acre Gourmet will be serving lunch to students and faculty from now on, according to Fox.

“I definitely liked Sage Dining because of the variety they offered, but I have seen Acre provide various options as well,” Fox said. “I’m looking forward to seeing more of what Acre has to offer,”

Yearbook photos were taken today, but optional retakes are available later in the year. Photos were taken at the Broadway campus and the Pine-Octavia campus during the school day,  resource periods or lunch, according to an email sent out by Community Life Chair Paul Pryor-Lorentz.

While high school students started classes on Monday, K-8 students will begin school on Aug. 28. The K-8 photos will be taken on Sept. 13 and 14, according to sacredsf.org.

“Picture day is always a bit stressful, especially since it’s on the first week of school,” Parent said. “I’m glad the first week of classes is almost over and we’ve gotten such a strong start to the year.”