Promposals are on

Students prepare for prom with elaborate ways of getting dates

Tala El Qadah

Senior Andrew Williams asks Senior Keira Blattberg to prom with a poster and flowers. To win the free tickets to prom, students are required to send in a photo and video of their promposal and receive the most likes from the student body.

Sofia Kozlova, Social Media Editor

With prom less than 2 weeks away, the student council has organized a promposal contest through the connycubbyhole Instagram account. Prom this year will be at the Swedish American Hall from 7-10 p.m. on April 22nd.

“I was really happy and surprised when I got promposed to and I love to see how much fun people have with the posters,” senior Roxy Comerford said. “It was really cool to hear everyone cheering in the Main Hall and I feel like it always makes people happy to see them,”

The only rules for the contest are that the promposal should not disrupt class and the posters must be appropriate. Tickets to prom are $75 per person and whoever gets the most likes on their promposal wins a pair of free tickets, according to Comerford.

“I think it’s really fun to see the posts on connycubbyhole of the different promposals because they’re always super creative,” sophomore Leah Williams said. “Although I don’t know all of the juniors and seniors, I feel like the promposal competition is a good way to get to know the school because everybody gets involved,”

A promposal is the act of asking someone to prom. Promposals usually include a poster with a pun and although the origins are unknown, the word is more recently developed, gaining popularity in 2011, according to Merriam-Webster.

“Even though not everyone goes to prom with a date, having the community get to watch and enjoy the videos is still really entertaining,” junior Grace Gallagher said. “I liked watching the videos last year and I feel like it unites the whole community,”

The word prom is short for ‘promenade’ and it started as holding a banquet for universities’ graduating classes. The origin of the tradition explains why it is common for only upperclassmen to attend the prom, according to Times Magazine.

“I really like how this is a tradition at our school because I think that it’s enjoyable for everyone,” Comerford said. “I like how it’s an activity everybody can interact with by voting for who wins — and I’m excited to see who wins.”