Argentina advances

Argentina to play in World Cup finals

Ada Linde

Students watch the France-Morocco game today at the Pine Octavia campus during lunch. Students have streamed games on their phones, computers, and TVs at school for all of the World Cup games during lunch block.

Charlotte Morris, Reporter

Argentina beat Croatia with a 3-0 win on Tuesday. The last time Argentina was in the finals was 2014, but they lost to Germany.

Argentina last won the World Cup in 1986, so many people were ecstatic about this win, according to freshman Emilia Lutz.

“I heard so much cheering throughout the school after each goal, and I was definitely excited that Argentina won, ” Lutz said. “I think it’s really cool that the World Cup is such a communal thing here,”

2 of the 3 goals were made by Julian Alverez, and the other was made by World Soccer Player of the Year and European Golden Shoe winner Lionel Messi. Messi and Alverez are the ‘perfect double act’, according to NBC Sports. Messi has announced that this will be his final World Cup. This has fans feeling sad, but excited for his final game according to freshman Elizabeth Fox. 

“I think now that everyone knows that this will be Messi’s last World Cup, it will make watching the game very different,” Fox said. “I am very excited to see the final results,”

Even though they got a win, Argentina is not done yet. France will play Morocco today, and the winner will play Argentina in the Finals. France is the returning champion, so that will also add pressure on the game. 

“I am very excited to see the outcome of the game,” Lutz said. “The World Cup has definitely been the highlight of each day for me.”