Friendly flag-football competition

First annual weekend ‘powderpuff’ game

Courtney Hall

Quarterback and senior Keira Blattberg sets up the ball for senior Audra Dawkins’ punt. This year’s game was the first annual junior-senior flag-football game.

Sofia Kozlova, Reporter

The seniors defeated the juniors 12-0 in the first ever junior-senior flag-football game last Saturday. Guests were invited to come to the game, which was from 9-10 a.m. at the Beach Chalet Athletic Fields.

“I had a lot of fun at the flag football game and it was really cool to see everybody so passionate,” senior Roxy Comerford said. “It didn’t really matter who won but it was more about being together and having a good time,”

The tradition of junior-senior girls’ flag-football games, also known as powderpuffs, started in the 1940s. The name ‘powderpuff’ comes from the tool that girls would use to powder their faces before the games, according to Wayland Student Press Network.

“The football game was a fully student planned and proposed project and there has been a lot of interest to do an event like this,” said Chair of Community Life Paul Pryor Lorentz. “Despite the tough weather, people showed up to be a part of the game and it was really cool to watch what the students put together,”

There were shirts for sale to all who played the game and the event was organized by the student council, according to Comerford.

“I support this becoming a tradition and think it would be an exciting addition to the traditions already present at our school,” Lorentz said. “I know everybody who came had a really good time cheering on their classmates,”

The game was optional for juniors and seniors, but more than 30 girls showed up. It was raining on Saturday which likely decreased attendance, according to junior Sasha Miller.

“This would be a super fun annual tradition, especially for juniors and seniors because it’s some safe class competition,” said Comerford. “Hopefully next year it isn’t raining so more people come out to watch the game.”