Kicking on the World Cup

Classes streaming the World Cup games

Creative Commons

Germany holding up the FIFA World Cup from 2014 after defeating Argentina. Germany did not make it past the group stage in the 2022 World Cup.

Sofia Kozlova, Reporter

The FIFA World Cup started on Nov. 20 and is taking place in Qatar. The United States vs. Iran game was screened on the 3rd floor at Broadway and the Columbus Hall on Pine Octavia on Tuesday.

“I have been keeping up with the World Cup and am definitely rooting for team USA,” said junior Catherine Fox. “I’ve been watching games during lunch because people have been screening them on TVs around both campuses,”

The US beat Iran 1-0 and is advancing to the round of 16 and will need to beat the Netherlands to make it to the quarter-finals. In addition to Iran, team USA has played England and Wales with the second youngest team in the cup, according to The New York Times.

“I’ve always been a big soccer fan so I usually keep up with the World Cup, but I enjoy watching the games with the whole community and cheering for a goal or being upset about a ref call together,” said math department chair Lindsay MacGarva. “I’m also excited for the next World Cup because it’s being held in North America,”

In 2026, games will be held across North America with games across Canada, the United States, and Mexico. San Francisco will be one of the host cities and games will be held at Levi’s Stadium in Santa Clara, according to FIFA.

“I would like Argentina to win since this is Messi’s last season but even if they don’t win I have a good time watching the games,” sophomore Tabitha Martin said. “I prefer to watch the games in big groups, like what Ms. Garlinghouse did on the 3rd floor,”

There has also been much controversy surrounding this World Cup including alleged corruption and human rights violations that took place in Qatar. Many countries stood against the problematic rules and wore armbands to show they didn’t support the allegations, according to Reuters

“I think that the more practical reason behind showing the games is when everybody is streaming the games individually it kills the Wi-Fi,” said MacGarva. “This way, we can have everybody watching together and the internet works normally,”

Watching these games brings together the community and helps students get to know each other, according to Martin.

“I think having the games on is a really nice brain break when my school work becomes overwhelming,” Fox said. “It can be super fun to watch the games even though I don’t play soccer.”