‘Broadway on Broadway’ opens

6-12 musical theater performances commence

The cast and crew of ‘Broadway on Broadway’ created a trailer to attract a wider audience, and can be found on @sacredsf on Instagram. The show featured songs like “You’ll Be Back” from Hamilton and “Do You Hear the People Sing” from Les Miserables.

Amrita Rajpal, Reporter

‘Broadway on Broadway’, a musical review featuring scenes from many popular Broadway shows, opened tonight.

The performance is a grades 6–12 musical theater Cabaret directed by Theater Manager Chris Miller and Interim Theater Director Christina Clark. The show will have one more performance — tomorrow at 7pm in the Syufy Theater. 

“It’s super cool that the middle schoolers also get involved with the theater program as it creates a large sense of community,” sophomore Nandika Bhatnagar said. “There are so many different roles, so there is something for everyone to do,” 

In addition to building social and communication skills, involvement in drama courses and performance has been shown to improve students’ self-esteem as well as their confidence in their academic abilities, according to American Alliance for Theater and Education

“Having performing arts within a school program is really important—students have to find courage to step up on the stage and be under the lights,” Head of School Rachel Simpson said. “The collaborative element of what it means to put a production together is incredibly important — not to mention the camaraderie that comes with that skill building, whether you are speaking, singing, dancing, or doing all three,” 

Last year’s fall production was William Shakespeare’s ‘As You Like It’—the first in-person show in two years. It was available to watch in person, on livestream, or via recording. 

“Watching school productions is a really fun way to bond with your friends and be immersed in the community,” senior Ella Runneboom said. “I watched last year’s livestream of the fall production and it was spectacular,”

Students wanting to join Convent & Stuart Hall’s theater program can try out to be a cast or crew member for any show. If students don’t want to be on stage, they can work as a member of the sound, light, prop, or management crews.

“I love coming to the productions to cheer on my friends and support their creativity,” Bhatnagar said. “The shows are really funny and heartwarming and they are always well directed.”