New school year, new technology

School-issued iPads enhance students’ note-taking, organization

Ada Linde and Clara Bonomi

This school year has brought many new shifts in the schedule and COVID-19 protocols, but one of the most apparent changes for many students was the introduction of school-issued iPads.

“Having an iPad is really nice because you don’t have to waste paper and there’s no hassle of getting a ton of notebooks and other class materials,” junior Sophia Davis said. “It’s also just easy to have all notes in one place, like Notability.”

The dual device program, introduced by director of educational innovation, Howard Levin, states that students in grades seven through 12 are to utilize both their school-issued iPads as well as their own. The new devices are intended to improve digital writing, organization and selective reading, according to an email sent by Levin at the beginning of summer break.

“It’s useful to have an iPad especially in math class because taking notes on a computer is really hard at times,” freshman Sienna Faidi said. “I haven’t really used it in any other classes yet but it’s been super helpful so far and I’m excited to experiment with it in the future.”

However, some students argue that iPads can increase distractibility, backpack weight and screen time. On average, teens can spend up to 9 hours a day on screens, according to the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry

“As teenagers, we all struggle with screen time, so having an extra device in the mix will definitely intensify that,” sophomore Samantha Buscemi said. “Our world is already so centered around technology that it could be draining to be staring at another screen all day.”

iPads were distributed with protective cases, a charging block, chord, and a Logitech crayon.

“It’s not like if we didn’t have iPads we wouldn’t be able to function, but it’s a really nice privilege to have them at our disposal,” Davis said. “It’ll definitely make school work easier in a lot of ways.”