Keeping it SWEET

Senior starts business to encourage young entrepreneurs

Senior+Isabel+Hoppmann+recaps++tips+from+expert+entrepreneurs.+She+shared+what+she+found+most+valuable+from+her+previous+interviews.+

Screenshot

Senior Isabel Hoppmann recaps tips from expert entrepreneurs. She shared what she found most valuable from her previous interviews.

Gabrielle Guido, Web Editor

Even as a young girl, senior Isabel Hoppmann longed to be an entrepreneur. Now, she is taking her interest further by establishing her own company to give young girls the tools to start businesses. 

Her two-month-old company, Successful Women Entrepreneurs Everywhere Today, motivates middle and high school girls ages 13-16 to start their own businesses is supported by the advice of the 25 women Hoppmann has recorded. 

“I am interviewing successful women entrepreneurs to share their stories, experiences and advice with the younger girls,” Hoppmann said. “The women come from a range of different industries, backgrounds and ages — some are even teenage entrepreneurs themselves.”

Through video chats and her Instagram account Isabelhoppmann, she conducts one-on-one interviews with women who give tips and guidance on how to start businesses. Hoppmann holds “Tuesday Tips” and “Thursday Thoughts” with takeaways and recaps from her interviews.

“I have loved seeing the weekly speaker videos and how each woman has taken their ideas within the field of entrepreneurship into completely different directions,” senior Aly Bannister said. “This account has motivated me to understand that [starting a business] is not an unapproachable step, and anyone can start a business if they have an idea that inspired them.”

One of the first women interviewed by Hoppmann was professional high diver and Clean Cliffs founder Ellie Smart, whose business seeks to raise awareness about plastic pollution as she encourages girls to follow through with their ideas and dreams.  

“[SWEET] provides such useful and inspiring information for young aspiring entrepreneurs,” Smart said. “I think the best way to get started is to identify other businesses that are similar to yours. Study and research what they are doing and why they are successful. Then model your idea around them with your own touch.” 

Through SWEET, encouraging young girls goes beyond just interviews as Hoppmann’s colorful graphics present links to each woman’s business for further inquiry and exploration. She also provides a foundation for girls to begin their entrepreneurial journey. 

“There is a tab called “How to Start” on the website which provides resources on a range of topics from marketing to blogging,” Hoppmann said. “Recommended books, blogs, movies and podcasts are also included to give young girls ready to start companies the concrete knowledge they need to get their businesses off the ground and running.”

The growing movement of female entrepreneurship has 12.3 million women-owned businesses in the United States, a 58% increase since 2007, according to the Women’s Business Enterprise National Council. 

“Having frequent posts about such highly motivated, intelligent women has taught me so much about female entrepreneurship across various fields, and has certainly made a lasting impact on both myself and the community,” junior Clementine Mohun said. “I am interested in possibly pursuing a career in business someday, and the resources and advice SWEET provides have surely reinforced and furthered this desire.”

The advice given by each woman varies based on her field of expertise and backgrounds. The lessons and experiences learned can even extend beyond just business. 

“While founding, growing and running SWEET, I have experienced first-hand how much someone can learn from starting a business,” Hoppman said. “I’ve improved my leadership and communication skills as well as how to work through challenges, especially when working with other people.”