Gratitudes expressed virtually

Community members submit videos acknowledging others

Screenshot from video

Senior Colette Hom expresses her gratitude for one of her teachers in a short video, which is compiled with all the other gratitudes and intentions from other students and faculty. Gratitudes normally take place at the end of chapel or assembly on Fridays on campus

Madeline Thiara, Components Editor

WEB EXCLUSIVE With campus closed and classes moved to remote learning, students and faculty are submitting short videos to show gratitude toward a member of the community. These replace the normal gratitudes that take place at the end of chapel or assembly during a school day on campus.

“It is very easy when we are all in chapel together to stand up and share a gratitude, with no boundary between us,” Bryan Lorentz, Religion, Theology, and Spirituality teacher, said. “However, with the digital space we are using now, there are more obstacles for someone who wants to share a video, which is why not as many people may participate.”

During a regular Friday schedule on campus at the end of a chapel or assembly, students and faculty have the opportunity to stand up to discuss a special moment they had with another member of the community and express gratitude for them, which is then followed by a single clap from the whole school.

“I wanted to share a gratitude because there are so many things and people to be thankful for right now and I thought it was important to spread positivity more during this hard time,” senior Colette Hom said. “Additionally, everytime I watch the weekly videos, I immediately feel closer to the school community.”

In the April 24 gratitude video, only one Convent student participated compared to the larger number of people who usually participate during a regular chapel or assembly at school. It does take more effort and confidence to submit a video rather than standing up at school, according to Hom.

“There was a sense of community when we had gratitudes during chapel because all of us girls were present together,” Student Community L.I.F.E Representative Gabi Guido said. “The online gratitudes are a great way for us to uphold our close-knit community.

Each Friday of distance learning, Tony Farrell, Stuart Hall High School Head of School, shares a video with the community which compiles all of the gratitudes, along with quotes and intentions from L.I.F.E. Representative Gabrielle Guido and faculty.

“I always believe in a sense of community that knows no bounds,” Lorentz said. “With virtual gratitudes, we are breaking down the boundaries between us and celebrating each other.”