Computer II class celebrates semester end

Sophomore+Kate+Etter+reaches+for+a+doughnut+during+the+Computer+II+class%E2%80%99s+end+of+the+semester+party.+The+class+chatted+about+their+plans+for+summer+during+the+period.+

Emily Kanellos

Sophomore Kate Etter reaches for a doughnut during the Computer II class’s end of the semester party. The class chatted about their plans for summer during the period.

Emily Kanellos , Reporter

The Computer II class celebrated their last class of the semester with an in-class breakfast featuring coffee, donuts, and bagels.   

Computer teacher Doug Grant initially planned for a final test, but he decided against it when the class scored well on a test a week ago, proving their comprehension and understanding.

“At first I was super scared to take [Doug] Grant’s class because I did not know what to expect,” sophomore Maggie Walter said. “Little did I know, computers would end up being one of my favorite classes, and I hope to pursue coding later in high school.”

Grant taught Beginner’s All-Purpose Symbolic Instruction Code to two sections of sophomores in the fall and one section in the spring.

“Mr. Grant is an amazing teacher and through his class I found my interest in computer science that I didn’t know was there,” sophomore Delaney Tobin said. “I plan on taking AP Computer Science next year.”

Sophomores turned in their final project today — a program which could reserve and cancel airline seats. They also had to write code that would redirect a customer who tried to reserve or cancel more seats than were available, a new concept for the class.

“All of the sophomores achieved success and demonstrated a fundamental knowledge in coding,” Grant said. “The idea [behind the party] was to end the year as a community and have the chance to reflect on all that we have accomplished.”