Boxing provides alternative workout

Students box to enhance strength and technique.

Neely Metz, Features Editor

A popular exercise in the routines of supermodels like Karlie Kloss, Gigi Hadid and Adriana Lima, boxing has also become a staple workout among some students looking for an exhilarating and effective way to stay in shape.

“I started boxing because I thought it would be good exercise, but it’s a super hard workout,” senior Hailey Long, who has been boxing for a year, said. “I did it in between track and cross country to stay in shape.”

Boxing is an invigorating, full-body workout that utilizes, develops and strengthens several muscle groups, including arms, core, back, legs and shoulders, according to Livestrong.

A typical class begins with a warm-up exercise and moves into various punching and defense techniques—depending on the class’s difficulty. Beginner classes teach different punche to establish the boxer’s correct form and order, while advanced classes allow boxers to practice fighting one another, according to Long.

“We start with a warm up–which is a lot of sit ups, crunches with weights and running,” senior Lillian Lachman said. “After, we hit the punching bag, and then we fight someone. It’s more fun when you have a partner because you can fight each other.”

Learning fundamental techniques are crucial in being a successful boxer, according to Cameron Wisdom, Operations and Client Experience Manager at 3rd Street Gym.

I wanted to learn how to self-defend and how to protect myself incase there was a situation where I wanted to be able to somewhat fight back

— Lillian Lachman

“It all starts out with the fundamentals in boxing,” Wisdom said. “A lot of people can get away with being super athletic, but you’ll notice the most famous boxers of today they are not only athletic but their technique is superior.”

Boxers learn various self-defense tactics to garner muscle power from different positions, ranges and moves—as well as avoid attacks.

“I wanted to learn how to self-defend and how to protect myself incase there was a situation where I wanted to be able to somewhat fight back,” Lachman, who uses boxing for sports credit, said.

In addition to providing an intense way to get in shape and learn defense skills, boxing also allows athletes to refresh and take their pent-up stress out on the punching bag, according to Lachman.

“I feel pretty exhausted after boxing, but I feel really good about myself,” Lachman said. “I feel stronger physically and mentally. It’s a good way to get any negative energy out and put it into something.”