The Broadview is a student-run publication of Convent of the Sacred Heart High School, 2222 Broadway, San Francisco, California, USA.
“Schools of the Sacred Heart commit themselves to educate to personal growth in an
atmosphere of wise freedom,” (Goal 5), therefore The Broadview operates as an open forum for free speech and student expression without prior review.
Unsigned pieces are the opinion of the Editorial Board. Opinion pieces, reviews and personal columns reflect the views of the author(s) and are not necessarily those of Convent of the Sacred Heart High School or Schools of the Sacred Heart.
The Broadview invites comments, additions or corrections on stories in its publications and media posts. Letters to the Editor should be 300 words or fewer and must include the writer’s name and a method of verifying authorship.
We may work with writers for clarity and to meet space limitations.
Submissions should be e-mailed to broadview AT sacredsf.org.
For information about advertising either online or in the print edition, contact us at broadview AT sacredsf.org
Goals of The Broadview
We strive for excellence in our print and online publications. It is our aim to make The Broadview a vital part of the Convent of the Sacred Heart High School and the Schools of the Sacred Heart community.
We strive to:
- Report the news accurately, objectively, fully and in depth.
- Provide leadership through editorial comment.
- Meet professional journalism standards including adhering to the ethical standards of the National Society of Professional Journalists and the writing form and standards of the Associated Press.
- Provide a forum for free exchange of ideas. “Letters to the Editor” and other reader contributions may be accepted, provided they are signed. The editor reserves the right to work with the writer for grammar, obscenity, or space considerations. We also reserve the right not to print a letter. Online comments are subject to review by an editor before publication.
- Present editorial comment on objectively-written stories in each issue. Signed opinion pieces represent only the opinion of the author. Unsigned editorials represent the opinion of the Editorial Board.
- Cooperate with the faculty, administration and student body in supporting school projects by giving accurate and fair evaluations of such projects.
- Give full credit for material that is not original and only run non-original material with permission of the rightful owner.
- Acknowledge significant mistakes, and correct any errors that are brought to the attention of the staff.
- Present all sides of controversial issues, allowing for differences of opinion.