New dress code enforced

+Zoe+Forbes+and+Zoe+Hinks+model+proper+dress+code+attire%2C+while+taking+part+in+an+International+Baccalaureate+higher+level+junior+English+class+discussion.+The+revised+dress+code+does+not+allow+white+jeans.
 Zoe Forbes and Zoe Hinks model proper dress code attire, while taking part in an International Baccalaureate higher level junior English class discussion. The revised dress code does not allow white jeans.

Adele Bonomi

Adele Bonomi

Adele Bonomi, Senior Reporter

WEB EXCLUSIVE The administration has added new details and regulations to the dress code this year to create cohesiveness among students and to establish a more professional appearance in the school.

In previous years the dress code has been loosely interpreted, but this year white jeans have been prohibited while the choices for tops has broadened.

“I think [the dress code] worsened because we are no longer allowed to wear white pants,” junior Mira White said, “however I do appreciate how it’s a little more laid-back allowing us to wear T-shirts.”

Others, such as junior Arianna Nassiri appreciate the revised dress code since the administration plans to strictly enforce and carry it out.

“Personally I have always been a fan of the tougher dress code, and if we are going to have some sort of a dress code, as a school we should enforce it,” Nassiri said. “As such a prestigious institution to present our student body in a certain way is important and reflects our ideals and the way we think and act.”

Co-Chairs of Community Life Michael Buckley and Paul Pryor Lorentz plan to enforce the dress code on both campuses.

“Mr. Buckley and I want to start with a level of consistency that actually students have been saying that they didn’t have enough of,” Pryor Lorentz said.“That might feel to some as heavy-handed or coming on strong, but is just us wanting to establish a new baseline standard of expectation, and all of our interactions with students so far have been one of invitation and education.”

Students out of dress code will have an email sent home to parents. Pryor Lorentz says he encourages students to come to him or Buckley with any comments or concerns about the dress code.

“This is what the new standards are and we just want to make sure that the student body is informed on the changes,” Pryor Lorentz said. “The hope is to not have this feel heavy-handed or a strong thing just to make [everyone] feel consistent.”