Season lost, memories celebrated

Seniors reflect on lost final sports season

Adele Bonomi, Sports Editor

As I rounded the bend at Kezar Stadium in the 200-meter dash on March 6, I did not know that those last 100 meters to the finish line would be the last of my high school track career. 

The administration suspended athletic practices and competitions on March 9 due to a public health concern over COVID-19, according to an email from track and field coach Michael Buckley. 

The California Interscholastic Federation later cancelled athletics for the rest of the season on April 3.

The track and field team continued working out and practicing individually, but shelter-in-place regulations prohibited gatherings, so the team practiced individually through emailed instructions for distance runners, sprinters, throwers, jumpers and hurdlers, in an attempt for athletes to stay fit. 

Since track and field is mostly an individual sport, the sense of community and camaraderie was lost as practices were completed in isolation.

While most student athletes would have probably preferred to be on the field or in the pool, the shelter in place order provided them time to reflect on their past seasons and work individually on weak spots in their training.

I have been able to use this time to go on runs for fun again and to make new running routes in my neighborhood. I have also been able to do more strength training, including core workouts and focusing on my upper body, which would not have been possible without the extra time granted by the shelter in place. 

Being a senior who could not participate in her final season of high school sports felt devastating, but at the end of the day sheltering in place is a team sport because we are all working together to try and beat the opponent — COVID-19 — together.

Running Kezar hills and pushing through the last 50 meters of a 200 are moments that I pushed through the pain so that I could be faster in the future. Similarly, we will come out of this shelter in place stronger and ready for the next obstacle.  

Looking back, my time as a Convent Cub has prepared me to go out and face challenges whether that be college or COVID-19. 

Even though I lost a season of running track and field, I had three years of cultivating a community, making friends, and becoming a better athlete.

Finishing high school went by as quickly as a 100-meter dash, but I take with me each meet, practice, and moment with my teammates made me into a stronger person who will persevere through this virus.