Sophomores continue Christmas festivities

Catherine Dana, Senior Reporter

The Sophomore Student Council holiday celebration continues through this week with Christmas-themed spirit wear and a Christmas social on Friday to conclude the semester.

“It’s going to be different from doing a big assembly, more of a student’s activity rather than the Sophomore Student Council doing everything,” Sophomore Class President Carlota Rubio said. “We thought it would be more fun to get everyone bonding and talking.”

Stockings hung on the marble staircase for Secret Santa last week and the winter-spirited social will take the place of previous years’ paper bags and past holiday assembly skits.

“The stockings are actually a really good idea,” senior Abby Dolan said. “I don’t know why people haven’t done them in the past; they seem a lot more spirited.”

Students received gifts in their stockings from an anonymous peer in their grade each day, with gifts aligning to the day’s theme.

“I thinks it’s fun,” sophomore Starneisia Hooper said. “I got earmuffs and some lotion. It helps with the holiday spirit just by giving something to someone. They feel comfort, and you get comfort just by giving.”

A Christmas tree was placed in the Center by the Sophomore Student Council, who requested students to decorate the tree by either bringing in ornaments or writing prayers or notes on a paper ornament.

“We plan to have a bunch of lights everywhere and Christmas trees,”  Head of Decoration Committee Julia Alvarez said. “We want to have a really joyful and festive vibe, pumping everyone up for Christmas.”