Bake sale raises money for February events

The bottom of the Marble Stairs was crowded with students from all grades as cookies, cupcakes and brownies were sold today at lunch.
The bake sale, a fundraiser for Junior Student Council’s February events, made $80.25 at lunch and will be continued through Activity Period in the Center, according to Junior Class President Kendra Harvey.
“Father Daughter Dance and Valentine’s Day are two events that Junior Student Council put on in February so we wanted to get a head start on fundraising so we weren’t scrambling for funds a the last minute” Harvey said.
The dance, also known as the Father Figure and Daughter Dance invites girls to bring their fathers, uncles or any other paternal presence in their life, according to Harvey.
“We are also planning to send out valentines to senior citizens as a Junior Class organized community service event,” Harvey said. “This bake sale will also go to benefit Valentine’s Day decorations and candy grams which can be sent within Convent and between us and Stuart Hall.”
Every Junior Student Council member was required to bring in baked goods, according to Junior Class Secretary Natalie Podell.
“Bake sales tend to be an easy fundraiser to organize and at Convent we can count on students being excited by the prospect of inexpensive sweets,” Podell said. “We were fairly confident we could be successful with this kind of a fundraiser.
Roughly 60 customers bought sweets today, according to Podell.
“It gave students the opportunity to get something sweet without going up to Mr. Grant’s office or leaving campus to go to Mayflower,” junior Antonia de Leon said. “It’s great because students purchase treats and the money that they pay with goes back right into the community to benefit the students.”
There will be several more fundraisers throughout the month of January and into early February, according to Podell.
“We’re going to have more sales like these because while today was a step in the right direction we still have a lot more money to raise, these cookies were only the first of many,” Podell said.

Madeleine Ainslie
Managing Editor

Math teacher Jordan Lewis buys a cookie from Junior Class President Kendra Harvey in the Center. The bake sale was extended to Activity Period in the Center.

Math teacher Jordan Lewis buys a cookie from Junior Class President Kendra Harvey in the Center. The bake sale was extended to Activity Period.Stairs was crowded with students from all grades as cookies, cupcakes and brownies were sold today at lunch.

The bake sale, a fundraiser for Junior Student Council’s February events, made $82.75 at lunch and will be continued through Activity Period in the Center, according to Junior Class President Kendra Harvey.

“We’re going to have more sales like these because while today was a step in the right direction we still have a lot more money to raise,” Podell said. “These cookies were only the first of many.”