Alumna to return as science sub

Liana Lum, Editor-in-Chief

Liana Lum
Reporter

A CHS alumna awaiting acceptance to medical school will be substituting in the science department while teachers take family leave this spring.

Morgan Kendall (’08) is re- turning to her alma mater to substitute pregnant chemistry teacher Christy Cinti for four weeks and then for her husband, biology teacher Raymond Cinti, for the following two weeks.

“I’m really excited to be back at Convent,” Kendall said. “I learned a lot here, so I am glad to contribute back to the education of others and return to the Sacred Heart community. I’m especially looking forward

to meeting the students.” Kendall studied physiological science at University of California at Los Angeles, graduating summa cum laude in June. She then held a research position at the Hospital for Sick Children in Toronto, Canada and is currently applying to med- ical schools.

Christy Cinti is planning out all notes, worksheets and labs for Kendall, as well as holding high expectations for all her students.

“As they have all year, I expect my students to be attentive, good-humored, forgiving of any mistakes and supportive of the new teacher,” Cinti said.

Although this is Kendall’s first time teaching high schoolers, she has experience as a tutor and resident adviser in college.

“She was an RA for her last two years at UCLA, helping students with their problems,” Marisa Orso, Kendall’s mom, said. “I think teaching is just a natural extension of that. She’s used to young adults. She knows how to handle them in good times and in bad—as well as just chatting.”

Teaching is part of Kendall’s DNA, according to Orso, who is also a teacher of biological sciences. Kendall came with her mother to CHS when she had elementary school breaks and at- tended classes that interested her.

“It’s great to be back and spending time with the faculty,” Kendall said. “There are a lot of them who were my teachers, and I’m really glad to get the opportunity to work with them now. They were always supportive of me. It’s a little strange that I won’t be the one in a uniform this time, and I’ll be up front in a classroom instead of sitting at a desk.”

Faculty who taught Kendall are excited to welcome her as a colleague.

“Morgan was an outstanding student, curious, focused, friendly and always wanted to do her best,” dean Rachel Simpson, who taught Kendall French for four years, said. “I think (it will be beneficial for students), seeing someone who has gone through this school and what she’s learned and taken with her,” theology teacher Kathryn McMichael, who taught Kendall,said.

“I think that it’s important for our current students to have many different connections with our alumnae,” Simpson said. “I think it’s an outstanding experience to have an alumna be a classroom teacher.”

Kendall credits her career choice to her “well-rounded education” she received at Convent.

“I definitely can trace my interest in science to the classes (Ray and Christy) taught me,” Kendall said. “They were great teachers who were passionate about science, which encouraged me to pursue science as a major in college and also as a career.”