Club serves homeless

Senior Mary Katherine Michiels-Kibler and fifth grader Nahom Tesfaye mix cupcake batter. Cakes for a Cause held its first meeting today, after which members drove the desserts down to the Hamilton Family Center.

After two years of dormancy, senior Claudia Tropp revived Cakes for a Cause, a club with a mission to deliver baked goods to homeless shelters throughout San Francisco.
“I always thought it was fun when I participated as a freshman,” Tropp said. “I didn’t know why it fell apart, so I thought I’d start it back up again — it has such a nice mission.”
The club had its first meeting on Thursday after receiving permission to use the cafeteria’s oven. Shortly after laying out cupcake wrappers, Nahom Tesfaye, a Stuart Hall for Boys fifth grader, took notice and asked to help.
Tropp welcomed him into the club, handing him a spoon.
“I’m a great baker, and I love to help,” Tesfaye said.
After the cupcakes came out of the oven, Tropp and senior Mary Katherine Michiels Kibler drove them down to the Hamilton Family Center, a shelter for families without permanent housing.
“They were so nice and grateful at the center, it just made me want to help that much more,” Michiels Kibler said. “This shows them that someone cares, even with something as small as a cupcake.”

Web Exclusive

Elizabeth Smith

The club had its first meeting on Thursday after receiving permission to use the cafeteria’s oven. Shortly after laying out cupcake wrappers, Nahom T., a Stuart Hall for Boys fifth grader, took notice and asked to help.

“I’m a great baker, and I love to help,” Nahom said.

Senior Mary Katherine Michiels-Kibler and fifth grader Nahom T. mix cupcake batter. Cakes for a Cause held its first meeting today, after which members drove the desserts down to the Hamilton Family Center.

After the cupcakes came out of the oven, Tropp and senior Mary Katherine Michiels-Kibler drove them down to the Hamilton Family Center, a shelter for families without permanent housing.

“They were so nice and grateful at the center, it just made me want to help that much more,” Michiels-Kibler said. “This shows them that someone cares, even with something as small as a cupcake.”