Walk for Uganda benefits Sacred Heart sister school

Olivia Mohun, Features Editor

WEB EXCLUSIVE Approximately 70 elementary students and parents from Convent Elementary School and Stuart Hall for Boys participated in the annual Walk for Uganda at Crissy Field this Saturday.

Walk For Uganda is our annual fundraising event to support tuition costs for our Sacred Heart sister school in Uganda,” Co-chair of Community Life Paul Pryor Lorentz said.

The philanthropic event helps students in Africa receive an education, according to Scholastic Journalism and Media Director Tracy Anne Sena.

“It costs the equivalent of $750 a year for school, room and board and uniforms over there,” Sena, who has visited numerous Sacred Heart schools in Uganda, said. “Looking at a country where the average income is $100 a month, we are talking about a lot of money for ten months of school each year and $75 dollars in tuition each month.”

Students in Uganda also sell goods and crafts to raise funds for their school, according to Sena.

“Girls do a number of things to fundraise. They make and sell beaded bracelets as a way to raise money to pay for school,” Sena said. “One of the things you have to remember is Uganda is one of the poorest countries in the world. K-8 education is compulsory, but you still have to pay for it.”

A larger group of Convent High School students would have attended the walk had there been more awareness about the event, according to senior Amelia Estes.

“I did not know that Walk for Uganda was this weekend,” Estes said. “I definitely would have gone with a group of friends because it is a nice way to support our sister school and promote female education.”

There is still a way to contribute to the cause for those looking to get involved, according to Sena.

“I really encourage students to give up one trip to Starbucks or Blue Bottle and donate that money,” Sena said. “For the kids in Uganda, one meal a day costs 45 cents. A $4.50 latte is two weeks of lunches for a child who may otherwise have nothing to eat.”

Students or parents looking to make a monetary donation may do so here through the end of the week.