College information sessions commence

College+Counseling+Director+Rebecca+Munda+and+University+of+Delaware+representative+Chuck+Liddiard+set+up+in+the+gallery+for+the+first+college+information+session+of+the+year.+College+representatives+from+schools+across+the+country+are+scheduled+to+visit+through+November.+

Tommie Akamine

College Counseling Director Rebecca Munda and University of Delaware representative Chuck Liddiard set up in the gallery for the first college information session of the year. College representatives from schools across the country are scheduled to visit through November.

Jordan Russell, Sports Editor

A University of Delaware information session in the gallery today kicked off the college visit season, with representatives scheduled to visit throughout the fall.

“The information sessions are an opportunity for the representative to share information about their school,” College Counseling Director Rebecca Munda said. “It also [allows] students to learn about the college admissions process and what college is all about.”

For upperclassmen such as Senior Caroline Phillipps, the sessions offer a more personal environment to talk with representatives, although the visits are open to all grades.

“I really like the personal [aspect] because you can talk to the representatives individually as opposed to with a group of people,” Phillipps said. “The representatives are also articulate and answer our questions really well.”

In addition to talking about academics on campus, the representatives also answer questions about extracurriculars, sports, internships, and study abroad programs available on and off campus.

“The information sessions are especially beneficial for juniors to help get an insight into the college process in an early stage,” Senior Bianca Mercado said. “It’s also important for seniors to be able to learn more about a school that they are interested in.”

According to Munda, it can be beneficial for students to take notes throughout the session even if students are unsure about applying to that particular institution.

“I would encourage all [students] to keep an open mind and visit a few colleges sessions that aren’t necessarily on their radar,” Munda said. “You never know, you might be pleasantly surprised.”