SIA hosts toy drive

Gabriella Vulakh

Sophomore and SIA member Michelle Wang sorts through toys in the SIA Christmas toy drive donation bin. The toy drive will continue through Dec. 6.

Gabriella Vulakh, Reporter

WEB EXCLUSIVE Students in Action’s (SIA) Christmas toy drive for victims of the Napa fires officially began today.

Students and faculty are invited to bring new unwrapped toys for children with the donors’ names taped to the front.

“We are doing the toy drive to help aid children and provide them a sense of security,” SIA member Anna Doggett said. “A lot of these families lost so much and it is really important that we acknowledge that and shine some light on the serious situation.”

SIA members ask that donors specify the age and gender the toy is intended for. Tags with ages ranging from 3 to 17 are located beside the cardboard donation boxes.

“I’m really happy to know that I’m helping the fire victims even in the smallest way through the donations,” SIA member Maggie Walter said. “I think it’s especially important during the holiday season because so many other children are getting gifts.”

Donation boxes are located on the second floor of the Flood building next to the back staircase and in the main entrance of Stuart Hall near the front desk.

“I joined SIA to be a leader in service and a leader in our community,” SIA member Michelle Wang said. “I think this toy drive is a good example of how all of us, not only SIA members, can be leaders in that way.”

The toy drive will continue through Dec. 6 and afterward will be distributed to children through the Heart to Heart International organization.

“I feel proud to be part of a club and a school community that is supporting these victims,” Doggett said. “We are all contributing to a wonderful cause.”