Students celebrate Valentine’s Day

Sophomore+Kiki+Apple+grabs+a+Valentine%E2%80%99s+Day-themed+cookie+during+lunch.+Apple+said+she+plans+on+spending+her+day+with+her+family.+

Emily Kanellos

Sophomore Kiki Apple grabs a Valentine’s Day-themed cookie during lunch. Apple said she plans on spending her day with her family.

Students celebrated St. Valentine’s Day today by giving “valentines” including chocolates, candy and baked goods to one another.  

Valentine’s Day used to be one of my favorite holidays,” freshman Colette Hom said. “It was just a fun time to hand out valentines to my whole grade. I still enjoy the day, but not as much as I used to.”

Valentine’s Day originated from the ancient pagan festival Lupercalia, a Feb. 15 celebration when priests would douse women with blood. In the 5th century, the Roman Catholic Church christianized the ritual and designated as Feb. 14 St. Valentine’s Day, in recognition of the martyr.

“Even though I don’t know anything about the original St. Valentine’s Day, I feel that it has evolved,” sophomore Kiki Apple said. “Now, I guess it’s just a day to celebrate love.”

St. Valentine’s Day began to be celebrated widely in the 17th and 18th centuries, with friends and families swapping small notes and letters. The holiday has gained popularity since then, with approximately 114 million Valentine’s Day cards sent every year.

Despite the popularity of exchanging valentines in schools, some community members choose not to celebrate, like English teacher Mark Botti.

“I don’t find it very provocative or very interesting,” Botti said. “It is a nice excuse to express your love to someone, but I don’t think you need a special day to do that.”

Hom and Apple plan on spending their St. Valentine’s Days with family and those who mean the most to them.

“I actually forgot it was Valentine’s Day,” Hom said. “But once I got to school and remembered, I wished everyone a ‘Happy St. Valentine’s Day.’”