Sophomores look forward to annual Costa Rica trip

Sophomores+Abby+Anderson%2C+Sophie+Egan+and+Sofia+Pirri+help+themselves+to+burritos%2C+chips+and+salsa+before+today%E2%80%99s+meeting.+The+meeting+went+through+lunch%2C+and+sophomores+were+invited+to+ask+any+questions+they+had+about+their+upcoming+trip.+
Sophomores Abby Anderson, Sophie Egan and Sofia Pirri help themselves to burritos, chips and salsa before today’s meeting. The meeting went through lunch, and sophomores were invited to ask any questions they had about their upcoming trip.

Emily Kanellos

Emily Kanellos

Emily Kanellos, Reporter

Sophomores and faculty chaperones gathered in the Little Theater today during lunch for an informational and celebratory Costa Rica trip meeting.

Juniors from both Convent and Stuart Hall answered any questions sophomores had and shared past experiences.

“The purpose of the trip is mostly to build community and to have us expand what community means,” Student Life Coordinator Devin DeMartini Cooke said. “I think there is something really special about that.”

The annual trip fulfills all of the Sacred Heart Goals, according to DeMartini Cooke.

Since its start four years ago, the sophomore trip has proven successful, according to students and faculty.

“I really liked the horseback riding because I have always been really terrified of horses since I was a really little kid,” current senior Mackenzie Maly said. “In Costa Rica we went horseback riding and I loved it. It was the best experience ever.”

The 109 students — and their families — along with the 14 chaperones on the trip will attend a mandatory meeting in Syufy Theatre tomorrow night, where sophomores will turn in their passports and ask any unanswered questions. The meeting will mostly focus on logistics and last minute announcements, according to DeMartini Cooke.

Splitting their time between fun and service, students will stay at an Eco-Lodge in Dominical, Costa Rica, which is a few hours outside of the capital of San José.

“I started packing on Tuesday,” sophomore Jessica Louie said. “In terms of other things for Costa Rica, I guess it has just been talking to my mom a lot about bug spray.”

The group will be departing at midnight on Sunday, Jan. 15 from San Francisco International Airport and will return a week later.

“Before the trip there is so much going on, and I get anxious and overwhelmed,” DeMartini Cooke said. “When we land and we get to Villas Rio Mar, where we stay, something about having everyone together in that space feels really good right away.”