Miss-representation

Women are under-appreciated in sports.

Alyssa Alvarez, Sports Editor

Coming out of an elementary school where athletics were such a large part of the community, I thought I would go to a similar high school — a high school where sports are everything and a part of the school culture.

Going to a small, all-girls school, the competitiveness in the classroom can become more apparent than the competitiveness on the field. As teenagers progress into adulthood, there shouldn’t have to be a choice between being a successful student and athlete.

Young women who have an equal passion for school and sports are too often labeled as “lesbian” or “not girly enough,” as society sees the perfect young girl as an artist or singer who wear dresses and jewelry.

The glass ceiling of girls being viewed for more than just their appearance has yet to be broken in the athletic world.

From wrestling to volleyball, we as women should be able to participate in any activity of our choosing. The boundaries of what we are “allowed” to do can no longer dictate our happiness and futures.

Despite having the ability to play sports, women make up only 41 percent of high school athletes, according to the American Association of University Women.

The promotion of women in sports seems to be hidden as the WNBA and NCAAW tabs on ESPN’s website are not visible, while NBA and NFL stories prominently dominate the headlines.

The accomplishments of women in sports should become an afterthought — especially with thousands of male triumphs that are largely celebrated everyday.

Seeing basketball star Kevin Durant on the front page of magazines instead of basketball player Maya Moore or skier Lindsey Vonn causes young girls to hand over sports to males as their own role models’ accolades are seldom celebrated.

Mainstream athletic media motivates young men to be their best and work hard at their chosen sport because these impressionable boys are constantly reminded of what they can become on sports channels and billboards on the sides of freeways.

Having this same widespread publication would tell young women athletes that they have the same options and their roles should be seen as acceptable by their community.

Sports are not everything, but they do give us as young women opportunities to break gender barriers and take pride in something we love. They give us the opportunity to live outside of the dollhouses that are there to keep our imaginations and dreams behind closed doors.